The intrusion of the COVID-19 pandemic into our world brought along with it the “new normal” which also applies to the functioning of businesses. With the spread of the coronavirus, the corporate world saw the snowballing of the home office concept across the globe with factors defining its merits and demerits for employees performing desk jobs and employers alike. The common aspects undermentioned, reflect a new era of remote working.
- There is a significant saving in the commuting time for the office goer, even the related fatigue component is negated.
- Travel chores like negotiating traffic and hassles related to public transport is done away with.
- No regular travel expenses per se.
- No need to follow specific dress codes unless maybe at the time of video meetings.
- Enhanced privacy – Communications between colleagues take place on a one-to-one basis, displeasures are not openly publicized.
- Access to freshly cooked home food without the need to depend on outside food is a welcome relief.
- Big cost savings for the organization viz., minimal electricity bills, reduced frequency of housekeeping, no pantry or canteen maintenance costs.
- Employee motivation takes a beating in the absence of physical face-to-face thought sharing.
- Unforeseen disturbances at home maybe due to unintentional but sour actions from the family members in the middle of work need to be handled.
- Designated workspace required, the paucity and challenges related to which are rampant in urban homes.
- Sole dependence on technology, particularly the Internet.
- Lack of office infrastructure at home more specifically heavy duty printers, fax machines and photocopiers.
- In the event of failure of the phone or the computer system immediate and swift solution may not be possible.
- To some extent discipline at work takes a beating.
- Sluggish knowledge sharing process between colleagues.
- Irregular working hours – over flexibility of work timings can jeopardize productivity.
There are pros and cons which come with every endeavour, every change. In manoeuvring the home office life through challenges lies the success of the performer in the present times.