Spare Parts dealers at Abossey Okai in Accra are demanding a reduction in duties at the ports during the reading of the 2019 budget.
As the Finance Minister; Ken Ofroi-Atta gears up to present the budget on Thursday, operatives at one of Accra’s automotive hubs are restless as they hope for news about a reduction of their tax load especially when importing cars and ca parts.
A few who spoke with Goldstreet say they were happy with the Akufo-Addo regime when it announced the scrapping of some import levies in the 2017 budget enabling them sell more product units which were reasonably priced and within the reach of customers.
Chairman of the Abossey Okai Spare Parts Dealers Association, Mr. Clement Boateng submitted: “the 10% import duty abolished in 2017 was a big relive for us but times are still hard so we want a total review of levies, charges and duties as these constitute about 50% to 60% of our import capital.”
For another importer, their woes stems from the cedi’s fall against the dollar observing that the dollar has maintained stability for years while the local currency keeps losing value resulting in spending high in retrieval of goods at the ports with the cost invariable passed on to the customer eliciting complains.
Michael Eli Dokosi/goldstreetbusiness.com